1 16 oz bag frozen strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 package strawberry jello
1 cup boiling water
8 small ice cubes
1 8oz package cream cheese (regular or lite)
1/2 tub cool whip
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 box vanilla cake mix
3/4 cup water
2 Tbsp flour
1. Combine cake mix (half package), egg, water, flour and mix on high for 2 min. Pour into a greased 9×13 pan and bake at 350 for 20-25 min. Cool completely.
2. Cream cheese filling: beat softened cream cheese and cool whip together until smooth. Add powdered sugar and vanilla, whipping until smooth. Let chill in fridge until ready to use.
3. Strawberry topping: I thawed strawberries in microwave until soft but not soggy, keeping the juices. Coursely cut up in bowl with a knife so the strawberries aren’t whole. In a separate container add 1 cup boiling water to the jello mix and stir till dissolved. Add in 1/2 cup sugar till dissolved. Stir in ice cubes until they are melted. Add in the strawberries w/ juices and let it sit in the freezer to thicken faster but DO NOT LET IT FREEZE!
4. When cake is fully cooled, spread cream cheese mixture evenly over it.
5. If strawberry mixture is thick enough to easily pour onto the top of the cake, do so. If it is too thin which it may well be (I.e. not jello consistency) that’s ok bc it will just drain down and soak into the bottom of the cake which tastes really good! The strawberry mixture is pretty flexible on how it turns out. The only thing you don’t want is a frozen block of jello that won’t spread. If you get that, try letting it sit in a warm place to melt down a bit.
6. Cover and let entire cake chill until firm enough to be sliced into. 30 minutes should do depending on strawberry layer’s temp when you pour it on.
ENJOY!! This turned out fabulous and I will def be making it again!