Prep: 10-15 min. Cook time: 30 min Serves: 6 adults
- 6 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 jar favorite spaghetti sauce (29 oz)
- 1-1/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped pepperoni (I quarter it)
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes (about 3 or 4 romas)
- 1 to 2 TBS minced garlic (in my opinion, the more garlic, the merrier!)
- 1/2 TBS Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 lb ground italian seasoned turkey sausage, browned
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (for garnish)
- Optional ingredients that add kick:
- Fresh chopped basil (a handful of leaves),
- sun dried tomatoes (1/3 cup or so, awesome flavor booster),
- 1 can black olives roughly chopped (wonderful!),
- 1/2 chopped green bell pepper (I don’t, but you can!),
- 1/3 cup small pasta, like penne (add in last 15 minutes of soup time)
- Garnish: shredded mozzarella, grated parmesan cheese, 2 TBS Finely chopped parsley for garnish (optional),
1. Chop everything that needs to be chopped (mushrooms, onion, tomato, parsley, basil, pepperoni), set aside.
2. In a 6 quart pot, add your water, sauces, garlic, chopped goodies, well, everything except your ground meat and parmesan. Bring to boil and lower heat to medium or medium low. Cover and let cook while you brown your meat.
3. In a separate saute pan, brown your Italian sausage ground meat, drain it, and add it to the soup.
4. Keep it covered, let it cook for 15 minutes more. Basically, until all the flavors blend. 🙂 Add the Pasta and parmesan, and let the soup continue to cook long enough to soften the pasta, probably about 10 to 15 minutes depending on your pasta. (I always forget to add the pasta, and my soup is still quite hearty and filling!)
5. Serve it up hot with mozzarella for garnish and nice melty cheesiness!! You can use more parmesan and/or basil or parsley as a nice garnish too. I say, if you’re going to cook, make it pretty! Serve hot with fresh french bread or garlic bread and enjoy!!
NOTE: When making this, the ingredients are totally flexible. The base flavors is the pizza and spaghetti sauce, italian sausage, parmesan and garlic. Those are the real flavor bases. Then, think about what toppings you might like on your pizza, and try those! I haven’t tried pineapple or ham, or anything like that, but try it, you might like it!
FOR CROCKPOT: Put all the ingredients, minus the pasta, in your crockpot, and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 6-8 hours. Add pasta 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!!
Original inspiration found here.