**I wanted to update this blog post since I’ve received feedback from a few licensed aroma therapists with concern that my research wasn’t thorough and I realized I had not told the whole story about how I ended up using essential oils, or ingesting them orally. Now, before I jump in, if you are at all unsure about ingesting oils orally, then please don’t! There’s lots of other ways to use them, like inhalation and topical application. I chose to take them orally because my family doctor actually recommended Young Living’s Thieves oils to us when we went in for an appointment and suggested we take a drop of it it orally in a cup of orange juice. With certain oils, it is perfectly safe. There are some that are less forgiving and should be taken with caution, like Wintergreen and Jasmine. The ones I’ve listed in my recipes, to my research, should be safe for consumption, and certainly are safe to be inhaled through a diffuser or topically applied when diluted with a carrier oil. The other direct source that convinced me that ingestion was a safe approach to using oils was my Naturapath Doctor. He has prescribed oils to me for topical and oral use. The third source validating my concerns about oral ingestion was the company I purchase oils from, who quoted to me that it should be safe to consume 1-8 drops a day, diluted. Again, you need to know some oils pose more risk than others, so knowledge about individual oils is crucial. I got online and did some searching, as well as have read a few different published books and I own and reference the Young Living Essential Oils handbook which offers guidance for each oil and which ones are safe for ingestion. I hope this offers some consolation to those who have expressed concern, and I appreciate the accountability to keep people safe and all of us well-informed. Again, each of you are responsible for your own health and if you’re unsure about my methods, please pursue the knowledge needed to make safe decisions for yourself. This worked for me, and I simply wanted to share it in case it would work for any of you. 🙂 **
Onto today’s topic… EO’s for weigh-tloss and hormonal balance! I found the top oils for each of those categories and made my own blends that I began to take orally every day in capsules. I wanted to share what the results were because many people were curious, and I have been very encouraged by the results! I love essential oils because they’re natural, easy on the body, and so healing and restorative. Now, I do not use Young Living or Doterra oils, because they are so expensive. But I found another brand that I enjoy that I buy on eBay for a fraction of the price, and have experienced great results with. To each his own! The brand I use on eBay, (and she has her own website), is Fabulous Frannie. I have asked her about the quality of the oils, and this was her reply:
Our essential oils are 100% pure grade. They are not cut, diluted or, adulterated in any way making them highly concentrated botanical substances. Pure essential oils are quite literally 1000 times more potent than their leafy counterparts.
All our oils are purchased from trusted distributors with whom we have long-term, close relationships. These distributors work directly with the farms and perform their own analysis on each batch of oil purchased. Working with distributors allows us the opportunity to purchase oils in lower volume to ensure we offer the best batches of essential oils on the market!
I was quite satisfied with her explaination and have continued to be satisfied with her product. 🙂 http://www.fabulousfrannie.com
Ok onto the good stuff.
Below are photos of the blends I made. Now please forgive I don’t have an exact recipe and I am not licensed in this and cannot tell you if this would work for you or not. If you choose to try what worked for me, it is at your own risk. Typically essential oils are safe to consume 1-8 drops a day, but every body is different and I am not making any guarantees for how your body will respond to these blends or ingredients. If you know a licensed aroma therapist, get there thoughts first! Ok, that’s my disclaimer.
(20-40 drops each in amber glass dropper bottle*)
-Fennel (if you have it, I did not)
Top it off with a high quality grapeseed oil to dilute it some. Mine ended up being about half the bottle EO and half grapeseed.
Gently shake the bottle to mix oils as they have different densities and will separate, and then drop about 8 to 10 drops into a capsule, Cap it, and take it with some water. I like to follow my capsules with a little bit of food because the oils may cause you to burp and then you will be tasting geraniums in your mouth…and that is just weird. :-).
For the first two weeks I took these daily to help my hormone balance in general. When I was ovulating or PMSing, I would take them once or twice daily, as needed.
Other popular oils for hormone balancing: roman chamomile and jasmine. The top four I listed are in order of most common for hormones. If you only have a few to choose from or a limited budget, opt for the top three or four.
For heavy bleeders, helychrysium is supposed to help with that. I use it for healing scars and wounds the kids get. It works faster than lavender.
20-40 drops each
-Ginger (I did not have or use, not sure if I would bc ginger can boost appetite, but is anti inflammatory and good for digestion)
This is the article I read that gave me these ingredients and what they each do.
-gently shake dropper bottle to mix oils
-fill capsule half to 3/4 full
-cap it and take w liquid.
-follow w food.
Note: the cooling and warming of peppermint can create a mild heartburn sensation but it’s just the peppermint, not actually heartburn. Following w food helps this.
I take this 1-2xs daily as needed, especially when cravings are higher (like before period).
Ok, here are my reviews:
1. Balanced my PMS mood swings. Tamed the dragon dramatically. After my first period on the oils, I noticed four days in I had not gone into “raging monster” mode! I felt normal the whole time.
2. Shortened my period! I’m currently on my second period since starting these oils and my six day period has been transformed to a TWO day period. This is the morning of my third day and I’m already down to spotting. Amazing!
3. Lessened cramping and bloating. I still had some of this the first day of my period but it was decreased overall by about 75% and it only lasted the first day.
These were my biggest differences!
Weightloss Blend Review
1. Lost weight!! After about a week I lost 3-5 lbs, BUT I had already been exercising a couple times a week, cutting calories and had cut sugar two days prior. However, I had been cutting calories for months without change, and am not sure if it was the oils that brought the loss or my hard work was finally paying off. Could be both.
2. The BIGGEST difference I notice is my cravings were eliminated and appetite curbed. ESP during my period, I was able to stay on track w no-sugar. I take this blend two times daily when cravings are higher. I can’t say enough about how this has made it easier to stay on course w my eating. It’s tremendous. It eliminated my cravings so I made thoughtful decisions about my food instead of emergency decisions about my food. In fact some days I had to force myself to take in enough calories bc it had curbed my appetite so sufficiently.
3. IMMUNE BOOSTED!! Essential oils are excellent for your immune system, and a few things have floated through the family or circulated among friends and my body hasn’t even so much as felt like it was fighting a bug. I feel so healthy and GOOD inside. That alone is huge!!
So, that’s my review for anyone who was interested! I’m just a regular momma trying to do things healthier. I love natural means to health, and just wanted to share that with you! Let me know if you try these!! Thanks for stopping by!!
Oh!! For anyone curious where I got my dropper bottles or capsules, eBay and amazon! Here are some links:
Capsules: 1000 Empty Vegetarian (Vegan) Capsules Size 00 (Kosher/ Halal) Vegi Caps By PurecapsUSA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I7DVEJS/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_ypJ6tb0JTF6D7
Dropper bottles: 1/2 Oz Amber Glass Bottle with Glass Eye Dropper (15ml) – Pack of 10 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085W96U0/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_IrJ6tb044ERNN
Fabulous Frannie oils on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270923455927 tell her “jenilee5” sent you
**Much of the guidance I received for making these blends came from the Young Living Pocket Reference guide (Although you’ll need pretty big pockets to carry this one!)