We all want our kids to grow up to be godly and full of character… but how do we do that??
The word of God is the X factor when it comes to this, so in this episode we dive into how to get the Word of God into your kids hearts in an Uber practical way. Get ready, these tips are simple and super applicable… your family life could change even TODAY.
Deuteronomy 5:32-33; 6:5-9
- Everything has a price… What price are you willing to pay (comfort, convenience, time, etc) to get the word of God in your kid’s hearts?
2. What Goes in will come out. You will reap what you sow. PUT IN the Word of God if you want to reap godly character in your children.
3. As parents, we must model a lifestyle built on the word of God.
-Example of my mom who was transformed by the word of God; Dad who had morning quiet times in the word; Your kids need to see your process of being changed by the word of God.
PRACTICAL WAYS TO GET THE WORD INTO THEM
1. Memorize scripture through phrase-upon-phrase repetition during built in times like meal times, nap time, bedtime.
2. Rules and boundaries at home need to be built around the word of God, and the kids need to know this.
3. Word of God is useful for correcting, rebuking, edifying, etc. Use the word of God as kind guidance in the discipline moments with your children. They need to see your reasoning comes from the word.
4. Write it on surfaces around the house. Mirrors, wall hangings, hung on fridge, etc.
5. Family Time where you read the word of God; ask what it means to them, have them imagine it. What does this tell us about God. What does it tell you about yourself? How can this change your life?
6. Listen to the word of God in your car! If you’re listening, pull them in on it.
7. Talk about life situations. Ask thought provoking questions. Ask if a scripture might apply.
8. Share what you’re learning from the Word.
9. Discuss what you saw in a movie, the messaging, and how it compares to the Word of God.
10. Regulate other voices going in through entertainment, peers, social media, music, etc. What goes in, comes out.
11. When there’s behavioral issues, it’s a thinking problem. There are lies present in their thinking somewhere. So bring correction by having them look up scriptures that are relevant to this area of struggle.
LIFE HACKS RESOURCES:
-Minno Kids app
Older Kids: -Watch the show “the Chosen” through the App Store.
-Bible time with You. They still crave connection.
-Youversion App- Plans you can do together.
-Memory Verses: “Fighter Verses” App & “Scripture Typer” app
-Instagram devotions: Follow @Pocketfuel (if they’re on social media already)
-Have them create their own devotional content on social.
-Text A Verse to them daily from your devo time!
-Daily Bible Inspiration App