Christmas season. Coconut. Chocolate. Nuts. These are synonymous to my tastebuds, if Christmas had a taste, that is. I found myself craving homemade almond joys and realized I had all the ingredients laying around in the kitchen so I decided to whip up a batch…Last night….
…They are already all gone. 😳
They were so good. 😋
It was so spontaneous, though, I forgot to take pictures of the making process, so you’ll just have to go by description. But I was able to get a few pictures of some of the last remaining little goodies. I hope you can enjoy these and enjoy them even more knowing that they are virtually healthy. Without any processed junk in them you can eat them guilt free! Happy non-baking!!
-1 bag coconut flakes- 14oz?? (I had sweetened ones, use unsweetened to boost the health factor and cut sugar)
-3/4 cup Coconut oil
-1/4 cup Honey
-3/4 cup Raw Almonds
-Bag chocolate chips for dipping (depending how many balls you may need a little more than one bag)
-1 Tbsp canola oil
1. Mix the flakes, coconut oil, honey and almonds in a bowl. (Note: if too wet, add more flakes. Too dry? Add a little more honey or oil. Honey will make it sweeter.)
2. Squeeze the mixture into small balls in your hands and set on a wax lined pan. Be sure you get at least one almond in each ball!
3. Set pan in freezer for ten minutes to let the oil/balls harden. This makes for successful dipping.
4. Put chocolate chips in a microwave safe dish. Heat for 30 seconds. Stir. Heat for 20 seconds. Stir. Heat 15 more seconds if needed. Stir well. To keep it softer longer, add a tablespoon of canola oil. (Don’t use water!!! It freaks out the chocolate).
5. Dip the balls in the chocolate by letting them swim 3 or 4 at a time, roll them in it, lift out w a fork back to the lined pan.
6. Once finished, let them sit till they setup, which only takes a few minutes. Then, enjoy!!